United States
Best Service Manual Source for DIY repairs

Dirt bikes - 2004 honda TRX450r clutch problems

Forum -> motorcycles -> Dirt bikes

2004 honda TRX450r clutch problems
by: Shawn   on: Friday, April 9 2010 at 17:15:48 EDT

i own a 2004 honda trx450r and my clutch was giving me some problems for awhile, as in being we..

by: Shawn   on: Friday, April 9 2010 at 17:18:40 CDT

i own a 2004 honda trx450r and my clutch was giving me some problems for awhile, as in being weak and when i would let out the clutch it would be choppy. but just last week my brother went out to ride it and the next day i took it out and it was making a grinding sound and my sproket was shaking or so called twitching when when it sits and idles for awhile it wasent so bad but it started getting louder so i bought a new clutch plates thinking that was the problem, but it wasent! I was hoping that u could tell me what i need to by without taking the whole thing apart!
all i have done is put in new clutch plates

by: James   on: Friday, April 9 2010 at 21:05:59 CDT

I don't know if it is possible for me to say exactly what it is without looking at it. But I can give you the possibilities.
Two possibilities seem likely for this. First off this is the r model kickstart only correct?

by: Shawn   on: Friday, April 9 2010 at 21:54:50 CDT

YES.

by: James   on: Saturday, April 10 2010 at 14:40:16 CDT

Ok. First thing that comes to mind is missing teeth on gears.
If this grinding noise happens in neutral at idle, there is only a couple areas where teeth are meshing.
Does it make a difference when you pull in the clutch lever while in neutral at all?

by: Shawn   on: Saturday, April 10 2010 at 17:34:48 CDT

Yah when i pull in the clutch the noise goes away.

by: James   on: Saturday, April 10 2010 at 20:51:37 CDT

Ok, that would narrow this to two specific places. The primary, or the transmission.
What is referee to as the primary is the gear from the crankshaft turns the gear on the clutch basket outer. That is the primary gearing. If Amy teeth on those two gears are chipped it will do this.
But something else that happens is the clutch basket rides on the mainshaft via a bushing bearing. If that is worn out. It won't align the clutch gear with the crank gear and it will sound like grinding. To check for this you can grab onto the whole clutch basket and wiggle it around. There should be very minimal play.
If it's wobbly then you will need to remove the clutch outer basket and replace out that bushing or anything else you see damage in that area. When you pull on the clutch it puts pressure on the clutch and that kind of keeps it centered so the noise does go away. Some small primary noise is normal. But not a lot.
If that is not it there is a busted trans tooth. When you hold in the clutch that frees up rotation on the mainshat fro the crank.
So if the noise stops it's either one of these two. And I've seen them both fail as much as the other so that clutch basket will need to be inspected to know for sure.
Hope this helps.

Forum -> motorcycles -> Dirt bikes

Secure Site by Norton Check My Site on ScamAdviser.com