United States
Best Service Manual Source for DIY repairs

Kawasaki Jet Skis - 2003 Kawasaki STX 12F Jet Ski Timing?

Forum -> jet skis -> Kawasaki Jet Skis

2003 Kawasaki STX 12F Jet Ski Timing?
by: Bob   on: Friday, April 2 2010 at 21:14:56 EDT

I'd like to know more about 2003 Kawasaki STX 12F Jet Ski Timing?

by: Bob   on: Friday, April 2 2010 at 21:18:22 CDT

I'd like to know more about 2003 Kawasaki STX 12F Jet Ski Timing?

by: Bill   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 13:31:12 CDT

Your question is a little broad..
What do you want to know about "timing"?
Ignition timing or port timing?
From the Kawasaki webpages
(K-TRIC) throttle-position sensor. K-TRIC uses independent ignition timing maps for each cylinder based on engine speed and throttle opening to provide quick throttle response and acceleration.
So, there is no adjustment for the ignition timing unless you can remap the ECM.
Bill

by: Bob   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 14:08:36 CDT

My exact Question Refers to Cam Timing or set up i want to know the proceedure for setting up the timing Chain which requires setting the Intake and Exhaust Cams, Setting the Crank @TDC cylinders 1&4and installing a chain Tensioner> I have been trying different setting some good some not so good and if i get everything perfect with the chain tensioner installed during set up all of the timing marks stay dead on but the engine will not turn over seems like to much compression like all of the valves are closed. It will spin with the plugs removed. It seems like it needs to be advanced somewhat and thats what i need to know how to set up all of the components in the proper order. The spark timing should adjust itself via the cam and crank sensors via the ECU. Please help 2003 Kawasaki STX 12F 1200 Four Stroke Jet Ski Engine has almost no hours on it the unit has been Idle for a few years.
Bob.

by: Bill   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 16:59:02 CDT

Hi, I only found one page out on the web that mentions cam timing.. not in glowing terms. If the motor is still in the ski, I guess it is even worse of an issue.
It is difficult when you have camshafts that want to roll over on a DOHC engine.
Basic engine setup is going to be that at the T mark on the flywheel, the cams lobes will be away from the followers/valves on one end of the 1-4 pairing (compression stroke) and both valves are slightly open on overlap for the opposite cylinder. With no plugs check the compression readings to see if they are within spec. Maybe you have run your battery down and it is straining against full compression now.
Do you have the camsprocket marks lined up even with the head?

by: Bob   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 17:50:28 CDT

The Battery is Brand new, changed it Thinking the same as you.
Put meter on both Batteries while cranking with plugs in and voltage dropped to less than 8 Volts.
The Greenhus were not using the 31 tooth setting as indicated in the Kawasaki Manual I think the Tensioner is the Problem I have tried it in several different positions with varying results problem is taking the Ski to water to test it. I can make it run great on the Hose but runs poor in the Water. Timing in the Hull is no Problem since marking the Coupler before installing in the Ski and using a Mirror to verify Timing Marks.
I am not a Mechanic by any means but have been fixing things since I was a Teenager I was hoping some one has had the same issues and found the solution because you have to tighten 20 Bolts every time you replace the Cam cap. Did Compression Check immediately after reassembly and all Cylinders were good.
I missing something simple .

by: Bill   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 21:20:39 CDT

Does your NEW battery drop to 8v or was that the previous ones?
If compression is to specs and battery is staying up in the 11-12v range, it should be okay to go..
8 volts cranking is hard on the starter motor under load. Careful you don't fry it.
Did timing marks stay put with tensioner installed?
I probably don't have much else to contribute at this time. Will opt-out if someone else has more specific solutions. Your call..
Bill

by: Bob   on: Saturday, April 3 2010 at 22:20:03 CDT

Both Battteries did the same (plus used a charger to boost the Voltage and got the same result). Yes the timing marks were dead on after several revolutions. Thanks for chatting with me I appreate you time and patience. I would really like to Chat with some one who has done a few Engines all models have the same set up.
Thanks,
Bob.

by: Bill   on: Sunday, April 4 2010 at 12:41:13 CDT

There is no reason your batteries should pull that far down during cranking.. Bad batteries or never got fully charged.
Perhaps, you might want to look at the starter motor to see if it is binding or damaged.
Bill

by: Bob   on: Sunday, April 4 2010 at 13:41:32 CDT

Bill,
Good morning, I ruled out Electrical Problems the Engine was Hard to turn over with a 1/2" Breaker Bar until we Reset the Timing. Last week I set timing up with the chain tensioner 1/2 way tightened down (no Spring) and the results were pretty good it now idles on the trailer. The Jet ski's Digital Display was destroyed by the previous owner and we ordered a new one when that comes in i want to water test the machine. I would like to know if we have oil pressure and see if there are any trouble codes. I put too much time and money into this so far and don't want to do any damage. By the way I Have a Boat this Machine is for My Kids and i want them to have some fun this Summer. Also i feel you have been Help ful and i will accept. That link to Greenhulk explained that the timing marks are not exact which was my origional question. It would still be great to chat with someone who had a similar problem.
thank you,
Bob.

by: Bill   on: Sunday, April 4 2010 at 17:01:12 CDT

Bob, I am glad that I was somewhat helpful to you for your Jetski question. I am a little worried about your comment about having to use a 1/2 breaker bar to turn it over, though. That would indicate valves vs pistons and I hope that nothing got bent in the process. Good compression readings would verify that it is okay, though.

Forum -> jet skis -> Kawasaki Jet Skis

Secure Site by Norton Check My Site on ScamAdviser.com